This refreshing trout tartare recipe requires minimal prep and no cooking. A few quality ingredients and you have a crowd-pleasing, effortless appetiser.
Trout is a super underrated summer protein. It’s packed with omega-3 fatty acids, Vitamin B6 and B12, selenium and niacin. And what could be better than hitting your protein goals with silky diced fish seasoned with zesty lime, sesame oil, spring onions, chives and a hint of chilli?
Try This Delicious Trout Tartare Recipe
- 400 g Boneless, skinless trout (or salmon)
- 1 Shallot, sliced into super-thin rings
- 2 Spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 Tbsp Chives, finely chopped
- 2-3 Limes, one cut into six thin wedges
- 2 tsp Sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp Extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra
- Pinch chilli flakes
- Fresh tarragon or flat-leaf parsley leaves, for garnishing
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Slice the trout into one-centimetre pieces.
- Place the shallot, spring onions and chives in a glass bowl. Then add the zest from one lime and one tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice, as well as the sesame oil, one tablespoon olive oil and a pinch of chilli flakes. Whisk to combine, then add the fish, tossing to combine. Next, taste to check the flavour and add more lime juice, if needed.
- Divide the tartare between six small plates or bowls and garnish each with a few tarragon or parsley leaves, a drizzle of olive oil and a thin lime wedge.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.