Your healthy take on chips…
Best eaten when crisp, puffy and hot, these polenta chips with green salt are the healthy take on chips with flavoured salt. By making polenta with chicken stock and rosemary-infused milk, you don’t miss the Parmesan or butter, there’s no sign of MSG and… they’re baked, not fried!
What you need
For the chips
600ml full-cream milk
1 large sprig rosemary
500ml hot chicken stock
1 cup fine polenta
Olive oil for brushing
For the salt
½ cup coarse salt
½ tsp peppercorns
3 tbsp rosemary tines, finely chopped
1 tbsp sage leaves, finely chopped
Handful parsley leaves, finely chopped
1. Add the milk to a large pot, rub the rosemary sprig between your hands to release the aromatic oils and then drop into the milk. Heat the milk until just below boiling point (it should start steaming) and then set aside for 30 minutes.
2. Remove the rosemary sprig, add the chicken stock and bring to the boil.
Have an oiled baking dish ready. Pour the polenta into the pot in a steady stream and keep stirring for 10 to 15 minutes until it is thick and smooth and coming away from the sides.
3. Working quickly, pour the cooked polenta into the baking dish and smooth over the top – it will set quite quickly. Leave to cool.
4. In the meantime put the salt into a blender with the peppercorns and herbs and blend until smooth.
5. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees and brush a baking sheet with oil. Cut the polenta in fingers, transfer to the baking sheet, brush with oil and bake for 20 minutes. To brown further, turn on the grill for a few minutes. Serve immediately with the salt.
Serves 4 as a starter or side dish. Per 376g serving: 1 298kJ, 8g fat (3.5g sat), 11 770mg sodium, 50g carbs, 5g fibre, 9g sugars, 12g protein.
Tip: For an easier version, cut the polenta into wider sections.