Looking for plant-based recipes for Veganuary that are more inspiring than a banana smoothie? If you feel that your vegan breakfasts are getting samey-samey, shake things up with these nutrient-packed, filling recipes to fuel you for the day ahead.
These vegan recipes are courtesy of healthy foodie Alice Liveing and appear in our bonus book special: Little Book Of Breakfasts: 33 Recipes To Energise You For The Day Ahead.
1. Spicy butter beans on sourdough
This vegan recipe can be made gluten-free too if you swap the bread for a gluten-free bread of your choice.
- Glug of olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- small garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄2 tsp smoked paprika
- 200g tin of butter beans, rinsed
- 200g tin of chopped tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- 1 slice of sourdough
- Add the olive oil to a saucepan, then throw in the shallot and garlic, along with half a tablespoon of water and the smoked paprika and leave to sweat for a few mins.
- Next, add the butter beans and chopped tomatoes and leave to simmer on a low heat for around 20 mins, seasoning as desired. While that’s doing its thing, toast the sourdough. Serve the beans on toast and dig in.
2. Cinnamon oats with stewed apple
- 1 small apple, cut into chunks
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 50g whole rolled oats
- 1 tbsp chopped dates
- 1 tsp mixed seeds
- almond milk, to cover
- Begin by throwing the apple chunks into a saucepan with two tablespoons of water, along with the cinnamon, and gently simmer with the lid on for 3 to 5 mins.
- Leave them until softened, then add the oats, dates, and seeds and cover with almond milk. Cook this through until gently simmering, then serve and tuck in.
READ MORE: 14 Of The Best Vegan Protein Sources
3. Smashed avocado and mushrooms with vegan pesto
You can get ready-made vegan basil pest from Princess Pesto
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200g mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 avocado
- 1 slice of sourdough, toasted
- 1 tbsp pesto
- salt and pepper
- Begin by adding one tablespoon of olive oil to a frying pan, then fry the mushrooms until slightly browned and cooked through.
- Mash the avocado and spread it over the sourdough toast.
- Combine the pesto with the remainder of the olive oil, then place the mushrooms on top of the avocado toast, followed by a good drizzle of your pesto sauce. Season and chow down.
READ MORE: How To Make A Vegan Bolognese… With A Twist
4. Vegan strawberry smoothie bowl
Freezing berries (and other fruit, like bananas, mango, melon, pineapple) is a great way to always have these nutrient-packed powerhouses at hand.
- 6 large strawberries
- 65g oats
- 200ml oat milk
- 100g frozen raspberries
- 3 large ice cubes
- desiccated coconut (optional)
- almond flakes (optional)
- This one’s nice and simple. Blitz all the smoothie ingredients (save for the coconut, almonds and one strawberry) in a blender, then pour into a bowl. Top with whatever you fancy – I like desiccated coconut and almond flakes for added crunch.
READ MORE: Raw Vegan Dark Chocolate Tart Recipe
5. Porridge with plum and pistachio
Adding a scoop of vegan protein powder to your oats, smoothies or smoothie bowls helps keep you feeling fuller for longer.
- 1⁄2 tsp coconut butter or oil
- 1 large plum, cut into thin wedges
- 50g whole rolled oats
- 200ml unsweetened almond milk
- 1⁄2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 scoop of vegan vanilla protein powder (or similar)
- 15g pistachios, shelled
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, then line a baking tray with foil and lightly grease with coconut butter or oil.
- Arrange the plum wedges on the baking tray and roast in the oven for 15 mins or until softened, turning halfway through.
- Meanwhile, put the oats in a small saucepan over low heat, add the almond milk and cinnamon, then gently simmer for a few mins, stirring often. Stir in the protein powder and continue to cook for another few mins, adding an extra splash of milk if needed.
- Roughly chop the nuts or put them in a sandwich bag and give them a bash with a rolling pin. Serve the porridge in a bowl, top with the roasted plum pieces and nuts, and then drizzle with maple syrup.
READ MORE: 4 Healthy Vegan Dinner Recipes Worth Making